Skip Header Navigation

Call 1-877-749-7224 to Get a Quote

Skip Breadcrumb Links  
Personal Insurance > Home & Property Insurance > Homeowners Insurance

Homeowners Insurance

It's your home. We can help make sure you have the right coverage.

Your home is probably the biggest purchase you'll ever make. At RBC Insurance, we offer protection for your home and your financial future with affordable coverage that is right for you—without compromise on quality.

How homeowners insurance protects you

From protection for your home and personal belongings to coverage against liability claims, homeowners insurance protects you in a number of ways. Below is an overview of the key coverage it provides and tips to keep in mind when considering your coverage options.


You are on: Your home

Protection for your home and detached structures on your property

Homeowners insurance helps provide valuable financial protection against incidents that can cause damage to your home—including fire, lightning strike, wind and hail, explosions, falling objects, vandalism, theft and other risks or "perils."

Depending on your coverage, your home and detached structures—a storage shed or fence, for example—will be protected against All Perils or Specified Perils:

  • All Perils protects your home and detached structures against the widest range of risks and only excludes the perils specifically listed in your policy. (The Enhanced Plus plan provides the most comprehensive perils coverage.)
  • Specified Perils protects your home and detached structures against the most common risks, which will be listed in your policy.


  • It is important to have adequate coverage on your building, so be sure to accurately estimate your home's replacement cost (opens new window). Your replacement cost coverage should reflect what it would cost to rebuild or replace your damaged building. If you're not sure, please call 1-877-749-7224 and we will assist you.
  • You can save money on your home insurance premium if you select a higher deductible.

You are on: Your personal belongings

Protection for your home's contents and personal belongings

In addition to protecting your home itself, homeowners insurance helps protect you financially against insured damage or loss to your personal property (furniture, televisions, computers, washer/dryer, clothes, jewellery, etc.) inside your home or in your vehicle.

Like the coverage on your home, you can choose to protect your personal belongings against All Perils or Specified Perils:

  • All Perils protects your personal belongings against the widest range of risks.
  • Specified Perils protects your personal belongings against the most common risks, which will be listed in your policy.

The coverage limit for your personal property will be a percentage of the coverage limit you have on your home itself—and varies from plan to plan.

Some personal items, like jewellery, coin collections, computer software and more also have special coverage limits (opens new window). If these limits do not adequately protect your possessions, you may be able to "schedule" them separately on your policy to increase your protection.



  • If you have some very valuable items like jewellery, artwork, etc., ask us about scheduling them separately on your policy to increase your protection.
  • Photograph or videotape all your belongings and keep a record of serial numbers and receipts where applicable in a secure location (such as a safety deposit box.) If you ever make a claim, your visual record of the missing or damaged items will make the process much easier.
  • Update your personal belongings inventory at least once a year.

You are on: Additional living expenses

Compensation for additional living expenses

If you cannot live in your home while repairs are being made after an insured loss, your homeowners insurance will also help to cover some of your additional living expenses, such as moving costs, a hotel room, restaurant meals, storage and more.

There are three circumstances that may entitle you to this coverage:

  • If your home is considered unfit to live in due to an insured peril and you have to move out while the damage is being repaired, your plan will cover necessary and reasonable additional living expenses.
  • If you are denied access to your home by the police, fire department or other civil authority because of damage to a neighbouring premises, your plan will cover a necessary and reasonable increase in living expenses for up to two weeks.
  • If you rent part of your home or a detached structure out to a tenant and he or she is forced to leave because of an insured loss, your plan will reimburse your full rental value while the repairs are being made.

You are on: Accidental damage or injury to others

Protection for accidental damage or injury to others

One of the most important ways that homeowners insurance protects you is through liability coverage. This coverage helps to protect you financially if you unintentionally cause bodily injury or property damage to others—at your home or anywhere in the world. For example:

  • A babysitter slips on a spill on your kitchen floor and injures her back.
  • A dead tree in your yard falls and hits your neighbour's roof, causing extensive damage.
  • You throw a baseball on the beach while on vacation in Florida and you accidentally knock out a bystander's tooth.

Your liability coverage helps protect you whether someone sues you or not:

  • Your policy will pay for property damage or personal injury you unintentionally cause even if you are not legally liable.
  • If someone does sue you due to injury or property damage covered by your policy, your insurance company will defend you against the suit and cover the costs associated with your defence.


It’s a good idea to purchase as much liability coverage as you can afford—we recommend at least $1 million in coverage and offer up to $2 million in coverage in all of our plans.


Note: The information above is a summary only and does not include all terms, conditions, limits and exclusions.

Protect yourself against overland water damage. Learn More.

Get a Quick Estimate

Take a moment to get a quick and easy home insurance estimate online.

For a final quote, please call: 1-877-749-7224


Contact Us

Talk to a licensed RBC Insurance advisor about your home insurance needs today: