Affordable Coverage for Ontario Drivers
Whether you’re running errands in Ottawa or driving to the Great Lakes for a weekend getaway, get the coverage you need to meet Ontario’s insurance requirements and stay safe on and off the road. See what’s required or talk to an RBC Insurance advisor about the coverage that’s right for you.
Why Choose RBC Insurance?
Here are just a few of the benefits of insuring your vehicle(s) through us:
Lifetime Guarantee on Repairs
Available for all vehicle repairs made within an expansive vendor network.
Quick and Simple Claims Process
Representatives will work with you to make the claims process as convenient as possible.
Anonymous Claims Advice2
Get advice on making a claim without affecting your policy or premium.
What Auto Insurance is Mandatory in Ontario?
Here’s what’s required by law in Ontario:
Protects you financially if you are legally liable for injuring someone or causing damage to another person’s property.
Accident Benefits Coverage
Replaces lost income or pays for medical or other expenses and may provide a death benefit to loved ones if the unexpected were to happen.
Uninsured Motorist or Automobile Coverage
Provides benefits if you or your family are hurt or killed in a car accident or helps pay for repairs caused by an uninsured motorist.
Direct Compensation for Property Damage Coverage
Helps repair or replace your vehicle (or its contents) if you’re in an accident in Ontario and aren’t at fault.
Tip: In some cases, you may want to buy more than the minimum coverage that’s required.
An RBC Insurance advisor can help you decide what’s right for you.
Coverage to Protect Your Vehicle
Unless you can replace or repair your vehicle out-of-pocket, you’ll also want some coverage to help protect against financial loss due to damage from collisions and more.
Collision and Comprehensive Coverage
At minimum, we typically recommend including both of the following coverages in your policy:
Pays for the cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle up to the actual cash value if it collides with another vehicle, the ground, or an object on the ground such as a guard rail.
Pays for the cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle up to the actual cash value if it’s damaged by other unexpected situations—such as falling or flying objects, vandalism, fire, theft or attempted theft, a natural disaster, or a riot or civil disobedience.
Additional Coverage Options
For most Canadians, Collision and Comprehensive coverage provide the right protection; however, there are other options, depending on your needs:
All Perils coverage combines Collision and Comprehensive coverage. In addition, it insures your vehicle against loss or damage should it be stolen by someone living in your home or by someone you have hired to drive, service or repair your vehicle.
Specified Perils coverage insures your vehicle against specific situations only (such as fire, theft or attempted theft, some natural disasters, and riots or civil disturbances).
Ways to Save on Car Insurance in Ontario
You may be able to reduce your premiums with these savings:
- Combined Home and Auto coverage: Save up to 15% when you bundle auto insurance and coverage for your primary residence; your family members may also qualify for this discount.
- Combined Policy discount with your spouse or partner: Save if both you and your spouse or partner have home and auto insurance policies with us.
- Multi-Vehicle discount: Save when you insure multiple vehicles on the same policy or on separate policies owned by you and your spouse or partner.
- Winter Tire discount: You could save by installing approved winter tires on your vehicle.
- Retiree discount: If you’re retired, you may qualify for a discount.
- Autonomous Emergency Braking Discount: Applies to a vehicle that was equipped by the original manufacturer to monitor the distance of vehicles in front and automatically apply braking.
- Conviction Free discount: Automatically save if all drivers have no driving convictions in the past 3 years.
- Graduated Licensing Discount: You could receive discounts as you progress through the graduated driving system.
- Green Vehicle Discount: Applies to a Hybrid vehicle that has both a gasoline engine and an electric motor, or is fully electric.
- Out of Town Student Discount: Applies to any class 05 or 06 drivers who are attending school away from home.
Optional Coverage for Even More Protection
Here are just a few examples of optional coverages (endorsements) you may be able add:
Extra Financial Security for Your Family
The Family Protection endorsement supplements the required Uninsured Motorist/Automobile coverage.
It provides significant financial protection—up to the limits of your liability coverage—if you or your family members are injured or killed in an accident caused by an uninsured, underinsured or unidentified (i.e. hit and run) at-fault motorist.3
Added Protection for a New Vehicle
The Waiver of Depreciation endorsement guarantees that no depreciation will be applied to your new vehicle for 24 months.
This means depreciation won’t be taken into account when a claim for covered loss or damage to your vehicle is settled.3 This endorsement also entitles you to receive Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) parts when your vehicle is repaired.
Alternate Transportation Benefits
The Loss of Vehicle Use endorsement can help cover the cost of a rental car or other transportation if your vehicle is being repaired or replaced due to a covered risk.4
The Satellite Program endorsement provides comprehensive emergency roadside and driver assistance to help when you need it most.
Features and benefits include:
- Flat tire service
- Battery boost
- Fuel delivery
- Lockout service
(Maximum of 4 service calls and 2 trip planning services per policy term)
Forgiveness for First At-Fault Accident
The Driving Record Protector endorsement protects your driving record and premiums from being affected by your first at-fault loss if you’ve had a license for 6 years or more.5
Reduce Your Deductible Over Time
The Disappearing Deductible reduces your policy deductible by 20% each year your vehicle is claims-free.
This bundle includes three endorsements in one convenient package:
- Driving Record Protector
- Disappearing Deductible
- Coverage for Transportation Replacement and Liability for Damage to Non-Owned Automobile(s) AND Other Coverages when Insured Persons Drive, Rent or Lease Other Automobiles Bundles
Your Top Questions Answered
Find answers to the most common questions asked about car insurance in Ontario:
Because each person's situation is unique, there isn't a single answer to this question. However, using statistics and complex formulas, insurance companies usually calculate your car insurance premium by taking into account where you live, the type of vehicle you drive (and how you use it), your driving and claims record, other drivers on your policy and the amount of coverage you want.
Yes, particularly if they're less likely to be stolen or, statistically, if injuries suffered in certain vehicles are less severe. Vehicles that are less expensive to repair will also typically cost less to insure.
Tip: If you're shopping for a new car and are looking for the better insurance value, we can give you a no-obligation quote for each of the models you're considering.
Ontario requires the following coverage:
- Liability coverage
- Accident Benefits coverage
- Uninsured Motorist or Automobile coverage
- Direct Compensation for Property Damage coverage
You can also add on other coverage or endorsements for even more protection. Your policy becomes effective after you select your coverage and pay your first premium.
You may be able to add additional drivers to your policy through endorsements. Speak with an advisor who can help you find coverage that’s right for you and any drivers who will be using your vehicle.